Public roads on either shore give easy access to the loch.
One of the most popular fisheries in the west of Scotland, with excellent bank and boat fishing. British wild brown trout record: 31LB 12 oz 2002. At around 26 miles long and up to 1 mile wide and over 300 feet in depth in places.
Brown trout, ferox trout, rainbow trout, salmon, sea trout, artic char, pike and perch
Fishing permits are available in store from James Bayne in Callander.
TICKET DURATION ADULT CONCESSION
PENALTY (1 DAY) ……£20.00
1. Observe all marked exclusion Zones.
2. No tree felling. No fires, No litter.
3. Avoid excess noise or disturbance to wildlife, nesting birds, live/growing stock or other loch users.
4. No camping without landowners permission.
5. Always keep dogs under strict control.
6. Always close gates and observe the country code.
TROUT FISHING TICKET CONDITIONS
1. Minimum takeable size: loch Awe – 10 inches / loch Avich – 9 inches.
2. The bag limit is is 4 brown trout to be kept per day per angler, only one of which maybe 3lb or over. There is no bag limit for rainbow trout
3. All legal bait, lures and flies allowed with a line of 4 lb minimum breaking strain and 15lb for ferox. No set lines and no ground baiting.
4. NO LIVE FISH OR OTHER VERTERBATES TO BE USED AS BAIT and bait rigs restricted to two baited hooks.
5. Fish one rod only except when trolling from a boat.
6. Salmon and pike must be returned to the loch unharmed
7. A seperate day permit is required for all course and pike fishing
8. Keep nets are not permitted and all landing nets must be knotless.
COARSE AND PIKE FISHING CONDITIONS: No close season for pike
1. No more than three rods maybe employed at any time from boat or bank with the butt of the 2 outside rods being spaced no more than 3 metre apart and never left unattended.
2. All pike rigs and tackle must employ a wire trace of 30lbs and main line of 20lbs minimum breaking strain. All lures other than specialised pike flies must be of 5″ minimum length.
3. Purpose designed rod rests and run indicators must be employed when dead bait fishing from bank or static boat. All nets must be knotless and pike gags are not permitted. Forceps and or long nose pliers and an unhooking mat must be used when unhooking pike.
4. The use of maggot, worms, grubs , sweetcorn, bread or any other coarse fishing bait likely to catch trout is permitted only during the trout fishing season. NO LIVE BAIT OR OTHER VERTIBRATES TO BE USED AS BAIT.
5. All pike, trout and salmon caught by the holderof this permit must be returned immediately to the loch unharmed.
6. Pike only may be fished for out with the trout season and trolling is not permitted.
7. A seperate day permit is required for all trout. 8. Coarse and pike fishing permits NOT valid on loch Avich.
Angling Centre Callander
For permit prices – click here (pdf)